Thursday, October 8, 2009


Concept Map Review

Post your 2-3 paragraph summary of the 3-5 ideas you explored for how you could use Concept Mapping within your future classroom. Give your specific examples.

While looking through the various examples of concept maps on the internet I could not help but think of how I would use these in my classroom. One of the ideas I really liked about concept maps was to use them to compare different historical figures or events. Using comparative analysis is one of the key skills I want my students to learn. I could have them compare two presidents and their different policies for example.
Another way I can use this is to simplify a complex topic. So often in history we come across topics that are very vast and deep. Being able to reduce complex information into manageable pieces is a most for history teachers. Topics such as World War II would be much easier to cover in this form.
One other way I could use this program would be to make the class more fun. These concept maps are fun to look at and are much more interesting than text books. Using colors and pictures certainly helps students keep focused.

Discuss what you see as the impact of the use of Concept mapping might have on student learning within your future classroom. Give some details to support your statements.

I think that concept maps could have a big impact in the classroom because they appeal to visual learners. They also help students that are disorganized or have trouble focusing. These concept maps keep the information manageable and don't overwhelm the students as textbooks sometimes do.

Discuss at least 2 criteria that you would use to decide whether or not Concept Mapping activities would be part of a lesson for your students.

One of the criteria I would use would be whether or not they made my students too reliant upon them. These concept maps are supposed to supplement the lesson, not be the lesson. If I saw my studnets spending too much time studying the concept maps instead of other materials I might be hesitant to use them. Another criteria I would use would be to see if my students actually found them helpful. I would ask them whether these concept maps made processing the information easier, and if they say "no" or "sort of" then I would probably not use the concept maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment